Question:
we have a quacker parrot and he is tearing his neck up till it is bleeding, we have taken him to dr, no help?
lacyperal
2006-02-13 11:32:42 UTC
if anyone can help please email soon thank you !!!!!
Four answers:
2006-02-13 15:16:04 UTC
DO NOT use nail cleaner on your bird. It's highly toxic! You will kill your bird.

If the area is badly damaged, use a cloth soaked in warm water and Epsom salt and clean the wound as best as you can.

You said your vet already looked at the bird. Many vets are not trained in avian medicine. You may wish to consider getting another opinion. If your vet did not do a CDC (complete blood count) looking for liver desease, you may want to consider it. Before treating feather problems you must first eliminate health problems. Liver desease is a common cause for plucking.

If your finances are tight do the following:

I give severe bird pluckers a few drops of wheat germ oil until the cause can be determined.

Birds pluck because they are stressed or out of boredom. Did you move recently? Did his environment change? New cage or location?

Get him some toys to play with. Quackers loveto weave. We recommend getting Quackers some long leather shoelaces, ty-wraps, straw, or anything that can be woven in the bars. Give him something to do!
swimmom
2006-02-13 19:54:50 UTC
Please make sure whatever you use on your bird is safe for him. don't do anything without the vet's approval.

He may be bored. Parrots are very intelligent and need mental stimulation and companionship. In the wild they have to problem solve to get thier food, so in captivity the owner needs to provide challenges to keep their minds healthy.

Try some parrot sites to get ideas for your breed. Make sure his nutritional needs are being met. Be sure there are no infestations, mites and other small pests can be very difficult to spot.
englishspeaks
2006-02-13 20:54:44 UTC
It's Quaker, and he may have some mites, or he just might be bored. I have an Amazon, and he has plucked himself naked on his front. I haven't been able to change this behavior. He is not very sweet, so he may not like himself any better than he likes people. He is about twenty years old.
2006-02-13 19:43:26 UTC
i don't know why he bites it but try rubbing nail cleaner on his neck when it is healed up. Like the nail polish remover that humans use, rub it all over his neck. I did that when I was biting my nails and that stuff tastes so bad I nmever bit them again!