Question:
Why have my doves not returned to my dovecot?
pips
2009-06-28 09:42:55 UTC
I released 2 pairs of garden doves after keeping them in the Dovecot with the aid of a homing net for 6 weeks. They have stayed in the area and spent last night on the roof of a nearby barn. They have not returned to the dovecot for and have left a 2-3 week old chick. They have been away for 30 hours now. Is it possible they will return to the dovecott after this period of time and should we be considering hand rearing the chick now ?
Three answers:
Goldy
2009-06-29 02:03:25 UTC
Sounds like there is a Predator in the area maybe a Sparrow Hawk?as Doves are a favourite food for their young.

They could have been dis-orientated and become lost if you have just let them out.

Is there plenty of food near the cote?

Best thing to do now is hand rear the chick and hope they return.
musicman
2009-06-28 11:11:51 UTC
Doves,like a lot of birds are food orientated,leave plenty on the shelves around the cote,also make sure there is water nearby.As for the chick,i would definately begin to rear it,otherwise it'll just starve.Best of luck.
Wee Trojan
2009-06-28 09:47:55 UTC
they may have been shot or taken by a kite or kestrel or just found somewhere nicer to live where there is abundant food.